Here are photos of the side launching of the Imperial at the Collingwood Shipyards from the 1940’s. Check out the people climbing the wooden fence to watch the launch. The new Collingwood Terminals elevator (built in 1929) is in the background. Work continued on the ship after the launch. The launch basin doubled as a dry dock.
Picture of new Collingwood Terminals taken in July 1938 from what is now known as Heritage Drive.
This is a picture taken in the 1920’s of Gladys Nettleton (on the right) with the former Collingwood elevator in the background. It was replaced by the new Collingwood Terminals that still stands today.