Mayor Sandra Cooper, Deputy Mayor Rick Lloyd and members of Collingwood Council officially opened the new Collingwood Centennial Aquatic Centre on Tuesday, August 27th, 2013.
Town of Collingwood, Ontario
COLLINGWOOD CENTENNIAL AQUATICS CENTRE
Collingwood Mayor Sandra Cooper and Collus/PowerStream CAO Ed Houghton took part in the official ribbon cutting ceremony at the Collingwood Centennial Aquatic Centre
YEAR-ROUND INDOOR SWIMMING IS NOW
A REALITY IN COLLINGWOOD
Collingwood’s new Centennial Aquatics Centre has officially opened to the public. The opening ceremony was held on Tuesday, August 27th at 4:00 p.m. The former outdoor centennial pool is now a part of a state-of-the-art indoor year-round aquatic centre that also boasts a new therapy pool
Collingwood Mayor Sandra Cooper and Deputy Mayor Rick Lloyd both stated that the new indoor facility will well serve the residents of Collingwood for years to come, and is something the community can be proud of.
Those in attendance at the official opening were treated to a lane swimming demonstration by members of the Collingwood Clippers, demonstrating the new electronic timers and new scoreboard. These additions will allow the Clippers to properly train for competitions at their home pool in Collingwood. The ceremony was followed by a free, open swim.
The existing pool change house and mechanical room were demolished and have been replaced by the new, Sprung Fabric Structure, state-of-the-art facility. The new enclosure includes an expansive viewing area for year round activities that can seat 250 people. Day lighting initiatives and the ability to open exterior doors for the outdoor pool experience during favourable weather are other important features of the new facility.
The basic Design Components of the new facility include:
• Insulated pool enclosure with dimensions of 120ft by 140ft.
• Daylighting roof panels to maximize natural light
• Eight (8) operable insulated doors to allow for an open environment in favourable
• Interior spectator seating for 250 on the east side.
• New mechanical room with additional space and upgraded servicing.
• Chemical storage room with direct exterior access and suitable containment.
• Male, female and family change rooms with accessible washrooms and lockers.
• Pool entry facilities (showers, etc.)
• Complete accessibility to the pool for disabled persons including a portable lift.
• Lobby and customer service area.
• Separate staff locker/lunch room.
• Manager’s office.
• Swim team office.
• Janitorial closets, pool equipment room and storage room.
• Sanitary design and room finishes.
• Complete sound, telephone and communications system serving all areas of the
• Fire alarm system.
• HVAC systems throughout.
• Energy efficient lighting and electrical fixtures including occupancy controlled
• Efficient non-touch plumbing fixtures and components.
Dr. Don Paul spoke to the guests at the grand opening