The Town of Collingwood is playing its part in “Battle’s Over” , an international commemoration marking 100 years since the end of World War 1.
Organized by Pageantmaster Bruno Peek LVO, OBE, OPR, Battle’s Over takes place on November 11th 2018, with events throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, and at scores of locations including New Zealand ,Ireland, Australia, Bermuda, France, Belgium, Canada, the United States, and Germany.
It Begins at 6am with over 1000 lone pipers playing Battle’s O’er, a traditional Scottish air plaid after a battle, outside cathedrals and other individual locations throughout the country and overseas, following which a specially written tribute will be read out.
At 6:55 pm buglers will sound “The Last Post” at more than 1000 locations, where at 7pm WW1 Beacons of Light will be lit in a tribute signifying the light of peace that emerged from the darkness od four years of war.
Then at 7pm over 1000 churches and cathedrals will ring their bells as part of Ringing Out for Peace , and more than 150 Town Criers will perform a specially written Cry for Peace Around the World, the first in New Zealand and then across the globe through the various time zones.
In Collingwood on November 11, 2018
Members of the Beinn Gorm Pipes and Drums play Battle’s O’er at the Cenotaph
Remembrance Day Parade steps off on St. Paul Street.
10:50 a.m.- Cenotaph
Town Crier Ken Templeman will perform A Cry For Peace, band will play Battle’s O’er
11:00 a.m – Cenotaph.
Last Post by Don Doner and Legion Program will follow
6:55 p.m. at Millennium Park
• Don Doner will play Last Post
• Trinity United Church & St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church will toll their bell, 104 times/one for every name on the cenotaph
• Town Crier Ken Templeman will Perform “A Cry For Peace” and introduce Mayor Cooper
• Remarks from Mayor Cooper and she will introduce Mayor – Elect Brian Saunderson
• They will recite the 104 names of those who left Collingwood and never came home
• Lorne Kenny will recite “In Flanders Fields “
• Collingwood Fire Dept. will light the Beacon of Light
Don Doner playing the Last Post at a Remembrance Day Ceremony at the Collingwood Cenotaph
Collingwood Town Crier Ken Templeman on Remembrance Day
For further information go to www.brunopeek.co.uk/battle’s-over
For Collingwood contact Town Crier Ken Templeman, 705-444-0389.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO NEWS HEADLINES